wrong username in Thunderbird results in SSL-error

While trying to send a message with Thunderbird via SMTP over a secured connection (SSL), I got this neat little message:

SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length. (code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)

At first, I thought there was something wrong with my mailserver. So I reinstalled the certificates and everything. No change. 😦
So, as always: Google to the rescue! I found a few descriptions of that error, but none of the tipps for resolving did the trick for me.

Shortly before I was ready to give up on the secure connection (which I hate to do!), I found a tip that helped me.

I turns out, that Thunderbird gives you that error, when your user-credentials are wrong!
So changing my username in the settings to the correct one did the trick. Hope this helps someone out some time.

error in rails in locator.rb:91:in `add’: wrong number of arguments (3 for 1) (ArgumentError)

When I tried to start my rails-app this morning on my new server, I got:

** Starting Rails with development environment…
Exiting
/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-2.1.0/lib/rails/plugin/locator.rb:91:in `add’: wrong number of arguments (3 for 1) (ArgumentError)

That seems to be a problem with an old install of rubygems on my Ubuntu-machine. Didn’t know that. 😦 It lives inside /usr/lib/ruby while the new versions normally reside at /usr/local/lib/site_ruby

Solution:

Delete /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb and /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems (the latter is a directory)

Thanks to Stephan for this article:
http://www.arkanis-development.de/weblog/2008/9/19/locatorrb:91:in-%60add:-wrong-number-of-arguments

error with rubygems – marshal data too short

This was a strange thing. I had installed the rubygems by hand using the tar.gz from rubygems.org. I use version 1.3.1 currently. It worked fine at first, so I installed all the gems I needed, like rails etc.

When I wanted to install some more gems today, all I got to see was:

# gem update
updating installed gems
ERROR: Β While executing gem … (ArgumentError)
  marshal data too short

And this error kept popping up – no matter what commands I wanted to run with rubygems (update, update –system, install…)

I searched for a solution on google and found forums for ruby etc. Unfortunately none of these posts offered a solution to the problem – at least none, that was specific to my situation. It seems as though, this problem (mashal data too short) can occur in a lot of places, especially in databases and such. Must a an index of some kind.

Anyway, my fix was to delete everything in the ~/.gems diretory. That sets back your entire install of rubygems, because this holds information on what gems are installed an so on. But afterwards at least the “gem” command worked again. πŸ˜‰

I just reinstalled all my gems. You can get a list of all installed gems with

gem list –local

This command actually worked before – thank god. πŸ˜‰

All right – so much for now. Just a short incident-report. πŸ˜‰