MediaWiki and mySQL

All right – one more for tonight. πŸ˜‰

I tried to migrate a MediaWiki-driven site over to the new server. And this time around I got about the same error I got last time I migrated servers.Β 

Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytesΒ 

Guys, this really sucks! There has not been a fix to this from mySQL – neither is there a version of MediaWiki that doesn’t run into the problem – at least it seams that way. 😦

However, if you run into this and have a bit of memory to spare, just turn on innoDB-support inside your my.cnf config-file. On my Ubuntu-box I just had to comment-out the “skip-innodb” line and it worked fine. However, mySQL takes up considerably more memory after the change! So I’ll try to find a different solution to this, for my server has insufficient memory as is. 😦 

All right – now off to bed for real! πŸ˜‰

Advertisements

migrate to Plesk 9.0.1

Ok – this one is a bit special. Plesk is server-management software. You can manage your web- and emailserver with Plesk and it is really easy to use and well structured!
I have been working with Plesk since Version 7.5.x and so far it always served me well.

This week however, I finally took the plunge and migrated to a new server. And that comes with Plesk 9.0 preinstalled. After a quick update to the current version 9.0.1 I had to discover, that the number one feature I loved having Plesk on the new server didn’t work! 😦
That feature is called the “migration manager” and is basically a one-click server migration. The migration had promised to be a matter of hours instead of days. However that feature didn’t make it in time for the 9.0 realease and will only reappear in 9.2 – that’s at least what the guys at Parallels (the manufacturer) are saying.
So – no option for me there, because my old server goes offline some time a week from now. 😦

I looked around a bit and found an how-to on parallels website, that I would like to point others with the problem to. It explains, how to do the migration by hand (on the command-line, of which no admin should be afraid! πŸ˜‰ ). I tried it – at least the part for Customer-migration and it worked fine so far. It gives you the usual little problems, but nothing major really.
You basically run one of these commands

for the complete server:
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup all /path/to/your_backupfile

for a domain:
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup domains DOMAIN.NAME /path/to/your_backupfile

for a client/customer:
/usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup clients CLIENT.LOGIN /path/to/your_backupfile

on your old server (the source machine).

Then you copy that file over to the new server and run:

/usr/local/psa/bin/pre9-backup-convert -v convert -d /var/lib/psa/dumps/ BACKUP.FILE

This worked good on my new server, which runs Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

Afterwards you can find the backups in your Plesk Panel. For domains and clients, you have to create a “blank” domain / client with the exact same name and without any hosting content (domains only). When you open the Domain / Client in Plesk Panel and click on “Backup Manager” – like magic – you will find the backups. It’s almost all downhill from there. Just click your way through and put up with the errors, that Plesk hits you with. πŸ˜‰

I have already migrated about 1/3 of my domains – and I like it so far.

I think I will call it a day and leave the rest for tomorrow. πŸ˜‰
Good night.